View Single Post
Old 14-12-2017, 06:14 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by running
i have found if its not about some kinda specific competition, such as a sporting event that requires muscle mass. ieverywhere can be a gym. simply because the more natural the exercise that incorporates the most muscles at one time gives the best overall effect for overall.

as an example. when you do a bench press the body is supported by the bench. limiting the muscles to the chest, shoulders and so on. doing pushups activates many more muscles than just the chest, triceps, and so on. more importantly its the most important muscles that i can't even name but play a huge roll in supporting the body. such as lower back, stomach and so on.

after years of weight training in gyms to build muscles and stay fit. today i prefer doing just a few exercises that can be done literally anywhere. partially because i have less interest in building muscle mass and more interest in just being fit. and great interest in all the supporting muscles that when strong keep me from getting hurt.

1. this alone can do the job. upper body muscles, lower body muscles, and all the supporting muscles.

up, downs.
you start from a standing position.
drop to a squating position
kick your legs out to a push up position.
do a push up.
kick your legs in back to a squating position
jump up. in the air or just back to a standing position
repeat to however many one wishes to do.

2. pushups

3. run

if there is one muscle that is most important to keep from getting hurt. that would be the stomach. when the stomach is strong its hard to hurt the back. doing labor work most of my life i have found when my stomach is strong i dont get hurt. when it is weak i have. as a truck driver today and i keep getting older. i do my best to keep my stomach strong.

up downs and pranayama i do when i run keeps my stomach strong.

Yes, 'core strength' is really important, and it isn't the same as 'abs', because the core is deep musculature including the diaphram, the pelvic floor and the deep abdominal muscle called the transverse abdominus. Air pressure is an important aspect of 'core strength' as well, called 'intra abdominal pressure'.

The exercise you describe is usually called a 'burpee' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZgVxmf6jkA. Of course it's very effective across cardio vascular and muscle endurance aspects. It's very popular with Crossfit athletes.

Where the benchpress is concerned, it is quite a technical movement involving the whole body, but probably too technical for this thread. Pushups are excellent, the best front upper body drill of all, really.

In this age when people are always hunching over their phones, computers, desks, steering wheels and so on, back exercises have become really important in exercise routines. So pull up, high rows, shrugs, and rear shoulders... pulling motions.

We usually work complete with upper body/lower body - push/pull.

The routine you describe is all push so one will see development in front portion, but not in back, which in practice would exacerbate the hunched position common to the typical modern man/woman.

The lower body isn't designed for pulling, just pushing so we don't have 'pull exercises' for legs and glutes per-se.