View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 09:41 AM
Newbie ;)

Channelling songs...

Hello, looking for a bit of advice.

I write songs but I find it hard to finish them, mostly because of lyrics.
Music flows out of me easily and I've hundreds of ideas just sitting there. For the last several years I have deliberately stopped trying to come up with ideas because I just find it too frustrating having all these unfinished children, as I like to think of them.

I do feel the music, and parts of the lyrics are channelled, I mean they just come out of nowhere if I improvise. Of course, my own preferences for music and life influence the direction and style but I really do feel they are plucked from beyond me.

I've been desperately trying the last 5 years or so to find someone to collaborate with to help me with lyrics but to no avail, so I've decided that spirit wants me to finish the songs myself. Last night, I finally sat down with the guitar, admittingly I'd had a couple of glasses of wine, but I noticed how a lyric came to me, it just arrived with zero thought and was perfect for something I had been searching for. It's very much like finding the right piece for a puzzle.

So my question is: what would you suggest for me to do to improve my ability to channel lyrics? How can I get out of the way in terms of ego and keeping my mind clear? Bearing in mind I am playing the guitar when I write so it's not like I can meditate in silence, I kinda need to be actively playing and singing the song for the lyrics to come. Any ideas and suggestions appreciated :-)