View Single Post
Old 26-01-2020, 02:48 PM
hazada guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
A book I have read numerous times is:

PRIVATE DOWDING

A PLAIN RECORD OF THE AFTER-DEATH EXPERIENCES OF A SOLDIER KILLED IN BATTLE AND SOME QUESTIONS ON WORLD ISSUES ANSWERED BY THE MESSENGER WHO TAUGHT HIM WIDER TRUTHS

The book starts out by saying:

"is a book written using the technique of automatic writing. The medium claimed the spirit of ‘Thomas Dowding [a fallen soldier] was so real that he seemed to be in the room sitting at my elbow, prompting my pen’. This form of automatic writing was looked upon as ‘Spirit Communion’. The medium used to write the book was Wellesley Tudor Poole."

One part I enjoyed was

"Think of it! One moment I was alive, in the earthly sense, looking over a trench parapet, unalarmed, normal. Five seconds later I was standing outside my body, helping two of my pals to carry my body down the trench labyrinth towards a dressing station. They thought I was senseless but alive. I did not know whether I had jumped out of my body through shell shock, temporarily or for ever. You see what a small thing is death, even the violent death of war! I seemed in a dream. I had dreamt that someone or something has knocked me down. Now I was dreaming that I was outside my body. Soon I should wake up and find myself in the traverse waiting to go on guard... It all happened so simply. Death for me was a simple experience-no horror, no long-drawn suffering, no conflict."

Sounds like a good book.