View Single Post
Old 28-05-2018, 06:52 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I think in a Buddhist context, the initial 'taking refuge in the Buddha' mostly pertains to a surrender to the enlightenment within, and it does not mean taking refuge in any person such as Gotama. The refuge in dhamma mainly means surrendering to nature's way, which in a sense means forgoing any 'way that is mine'. The more superficial meaning of dhamma is the teachings of Gotama as these are about nature's way, but are not nature's way itself. In this we we have a primary way of taking refuge in 'enlightenment' (whatever that means), and in the way the universe is. Under the Buddhist worldview, the universe is not so much an object named as a noun, but more like an activity described by a verb, so in effect, surrendering to this moment just as it is akin to refuge in dhamma. This is not how the texts state it, but because the written philosophy is not that to which it refers, it is only understood in the way an individual sees it, and it has no 'true meaning'. I discuss the subject by way of inner exploration and apply meaning to that written according to what I 'find out' in actuality, which I suggest is the way to understanding - and it would not be prudent to just adopt what Gem says. Gem has no 'true meanings' apart from those inner knowings, and all other people can only know what teachings mean through their own real lived discovery.

This leads directly to meditation, as meditation is basically the 'inner discovery' we call 'insight'.

Actually, what we think of as Buddhism as a school of textual knowledge is not particularly accurate, because 'Buddha' primarily means the quality of enlightenment. What you imply, or at least what I infer from what you said, is more in the spirit of Buddhism than the volumes of knowledge called 'teachings'. Indeed, the teachings have no meaning at all other than that applied from the 'inner Buddha', as you put it.

' I think in a Buddhist context, the initial 'taking refuge in the Buddha' mostly pertains to a surrender to the enlightenment within, and it does not mean taking refuge in any person such as Gotama '

Different schools/branches have various ideas on what taking refuge means. Some do take refuge in Gautama as a person and their Master, others like Zen take refuge in the Historical Buddha and all enlightened beings in their lineage. One size doesn't fit all.