View Single Post
Old 05-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Animus27

While it is true many folk celebrations of Christmas are influenced by Medieval, occasionally non-christian customs, the holiday itself is not merely a remodeled Jól, since it was already a holiday before the missionary ventures were undertaken to the Germanic world at large, and therefore, wouldn't necessitate the "papering over" of a native Germanic holiday. If you want to argue any pagan origins of Christmas, late Roman celebrations would be a more fruitful avenue in determining the rise of the holiday.

Not to mention the issue that the Viking Age and Anglo-Saxon Yule wasn't usually celebrated on the 25th, or even 21st/22nd, the popular dates for championing when one wants to prove "sun worship" or other points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyth Von Gore
I celebrate Yule, personally.
And I believe that Santa was modelled after Odhinn, because Odhinn pretty much did what Santa does now. Travelled about on Sleipnir giving gifts to children who left out hay for Sleipnir. The Christianity came along, changed Yule to Christmas (even though logically speaking, Jesus was born in Spring because there were baby animals present at his birth. Baby animals aren't born mid Winter) and then Coca Cola turned Santa red when originally, he wore green (or gray).
I admit that there may be remnants of an Odinic figure in some of the Medieval conceptions of St. Nicholas, but I would seriously doubt heathens ever thought of Odin delivering gifts to children during winter, considering he was usually the leader of the Wild Hunt during the time, where the procession would steal away or kill whomever saw them. The gift giving traditions are almost certainly influenced by the hagiographical accounts of st. Nicholas of Myra's charity to local children and orphans.