View Single Post
Old 22-08-2018, 09:37 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empowers
Hate is only a very strong fear. Animals fear just fine, it is a survival mechanism. The expression of hatred is the top-most rung in the fear ladder. Think about everything you ever hated... it boils down to a lack of control or lack of knowledge (I.e. the unknown). And we instinctually fear what we can't control.

So animals are going along fearing and not fearing. I easily imagine things that have shown themselves to be something greatly feared are, in fact, hated by that particular animal.

Empowers makes a great case when talking about fear turning into hate when it is heightened. My dog was viciously attacked by another dog when I walked her on our usual route one day. After surgery and healing I thought it was time to get back out there and walk our route. I was very wrong. My dog wasn't emotionally ready to revisit the location to which she was attacked. I wasn't either. As we approached the area my anxiety level went up as I had flash backs. I suspect the same thing was happening to my dog because when we reached that specific location she pulled back and tried to get out of her leash and not go any further. At that point I knew that she was suffering from PTSD and both hated that location, but maybe even me for taking our usual route after the incident. After that, she never had the same enthusiasm to go for walks with me anymore. She only got excited to go if my spouse was coming with us. Instinctively she knew she couldn't trust me alone to keep her safe in her world. I didn't before, so why would she think I could fend off another attack? Eventually she became withdrawn and vicious acting herself.