View Single Post
Old 22-09-2017, 02:43 PM
Knower
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bindu*

Yeah...keep it going while the inspiration lasts

My meditation practice is a rollercoaster.

Trying to uphold a minimum 20 minutes a day practice, in order to have the process going, whatever resistence there is.

When inspiration is there, or in a retreat mood, I sit longer.

Discipline is not always there. But the aim of enlightenment is cemented.
So some days just doing some mantra repetition or chanting some Kirtan will do.

Being on a path of grace. I think sometimes the intention is more important than the practice.

But that's me.....

Om Shanti

Namaste :)

Mm, the bit in bold - I'd say the intention is as important as the practice. As far as discipline goes, I think it's important but at the same time it's important to stay attentive to your needs, if you feel the need of a rest then I say have a rest. Though self-honesty's everything, there's a difference between actually needing to go easy on yourself and just being lazy (general point, btw, I'm not accusing you of laziness!).

Yes defintively...

Enlightenment have been the major focus since I read my first book on yoga and tantra in my teens. Also the Bhagavadgita given to me by a Hare Krishna which I hide in my cupboard. Being born into a family of atheists.LoL

For me however being a householder with job and family it's best with a well rounded balanced practice integrated into a normal life, more than long sittings.

This practice including

*meditation
*Mantra repetition
silently during the day or chanted out loud in kirtan practice.
*Some hatha yoga
* Some reading contemplating the masters writings or scriptures from the ancient traditions.
* Service or Job to my family and community as being a house holder.

In short; a mirroring of a typical Ashram schedule.

Important for me is the recommended practice of continual God rememberance 24 hours a day. Challenging, but the aim of practice, when constantly falling flat, lost in the ego's various games during a typical day. The trickster...

It's said that in the Kali Yuga that The mantra, the sound vibration of the highest reality, is perhaps the best means.

And for me japa yoga (mantra yoga) is the key. Trying to give a mantra repetition on the inhale and one on the exhale as much as possible continuosly during the day and night.
Swami Shivananda calls it the "sheet anchor of sadhana". Or "battle field pratyahara".
Keeping the mantra going....thought coming...mantra....reaction to outer stimuli....mantra.....feelings of anxiety coming....mantra....et.c

Each hour taking breaks to go inward and doing some repetitions and contemplating the Self.

Not my path or Guru, but I love this book by swami venkatesananda from the Divine life society. One of my favourites for yoga sadhana (yogapath):

Here is a download of the whole book btw.
http://dlshq.org/download/sivanandayoga.pdf

My path is kundalini based. Long sittings may be too strong for the system. Therefore a lot of emphasis on japa, chanting and service.

Different paths....