Thread: Wicca
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2006, 12:03 AM
jadedmelody

Wicca

Space_Man asked me to do an "All you need to know about Wicca" thread. Im not sure i can tell you ALL you need to know but i thought id at least provide as good an outline as I can. First of all, I used to be Wiccan for many years (i might be only 18 but i started young!). When i developed depression i stopped practicing it but it will stay close to my heart and i may well become a practicing Wiccan again one day. If there are more experienced Wiccans on this board than me i hope they'll contribute :)

Wicca is a Neo-Pagan religion. It's relatively new/modern, but is loosely made up of very ancient traditions and early witchcraft. Gerald Gardner is credited with re-introducing the word 'Wicca' into the English language, although he used the four-letter spelling - "Wica" - nowadays the four letter spelling is rare. In Old English wicca meant "A wizard, soothsayer, sorcerer, magician" (Bosworth, 1898 [1]). The word has long been out of use. Its modern English descendant is the word witch. Other disputed derivations are from the Old English roots wic, 'to bend', or wit, 'wisdom'. Wicca is often called the "Craft of the Wise", alluding to the latter derivation.

Wicca vs Witchcraft

It's a common misconception that the words "Wiccan" and "Witch" are interchangeable. The primary difference between the two is that a Wiccan worships a God and Goddess and other Wiccan beliefs and ethics - it is therefore a legitimate religion. Whereas one can be a Witch with no religion at all - atheists can be witches. Anyone of any religion can practice Witchcraft (or The Craft), although thier religion in many cases may teach that it is wrong. The reason for the confusion is that a large number of Wiccans believe in and use Magick. (Magick is spelled with a "K" on the end to distinguish it from magic tricks - you know, bunnies and hats and whatnot). So, many Wiccans are also Witches. And many Witches are also Wiccans, but one can be a Wiccan and not practice any magick, just as one can be a witch and have no religious beliefs.

Wiccan Beliefs and Principles

Most Wiccans worship a Goddess and a God and believe that all the Gods and Goddesses that have been worshipped are simply certain aspects of THE Goddess and God. Therefore, according to the ritual, a Wiccan can either invoke the God and Goddess as a whole, or can choose to invoke a specific representation - such as, for example, Zeus or Aphrodite - i.e. the aspects of Deity which fits thier specific ritual. Some traditions of Wiccans choose to focus more on the Goddess - such as Dianic Wiccans who are typically feminists. But they are sometimes criticised by other traditions of ignoring the importance of duality within Wicca. Wiccans believe that nature has a delicate balance of light and dark, good and evil, male and female, etc etc. Some Wiccans worship a being called "Spirit" - a genderless deity which can be said to comprise both the God and Goddess together. Some Witches use "Spirit" in thier spellwork and it is more closely linked with Witchcraft than Wicca. Spirit is also one of the elements. As such, the God and Goddess are seen as the God and Goddess of EVERYTHING- not just the good stuff, the "bad" stuff too, they are deities of war, of darkness and death just as much as of light, love and life. They are creators AND destroyers.

Wiccans believe in Reincarnation, and that the reason for reincarnation is that in each life the soul/spirit learns new lessons and after it dies, it reflects on these, and carries on being reincarnated until it reaches perfection. What happens at that point is a matter of huge debate and there is no one theory that takes precedence over the others. But many Wiccans believe in a place where the soul/spirit goes to reflect after death of the body, called the Summerland. This cycle of life, death and rebirth is reflected in the rising and setting of the sun, the cycle of the moon, the cycle of the year, etc etc. It is symbolised by the Triple Goddess - three facets of the Goddess called the Maiden, the Mother and the Crone.

Wicca has one law. It's called the Wiccan Rede and it goes - "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will" - in other words, you can do whatsoever you choose as long as it doesn't harm anyone (and that includes yourself, and it includes animals etc too)

Wiccans seek to attune themselves with Nature and see life and soul in everything - animals, trees, even stones and water. Its very strongly rooted in nature and recognises that Humans have a duty to protect nature and live in harmony with it. It's very empowering, because it teaches that we each have power within ourselves to change our world - be it through prayer and meditation or magick. The Divine lives in all of us. Sexuality is celebrated and sex for pleasure is not discouraged at all.

Wiccans also recognise that there are higher planes of being than our own - and inner worlds too - sometimes known as the Collective Unconsciouis. This is one of the main facilitators of magick.

Wicca has no authoritarian hierarchy. Elders are honored for thier knowledge and wisdom, but that doesn't mean they are seen as superior. Wicca does not claim to be the only true path. It welcomes everyone - of any sexuality, race, age, etc etc. Wiccans do not try and convert people to Wicca and do not appreciate trying to be converted either - we believe that everyone is entitled to thier religious beliefs. It is also very open to interpretation. Wiccans that are solitary are often very eclectic and create thier very own tradition of Wicca just for them - often integrating traditions picked up from studying other faiths such as Buddhism. There are also large numbers of traditions that certain groups practice.

Wiccans DO NOT worship Satan. Satan is part of the Christian mythology and it is therefore a ridiculous suggestion in itself, but Wiccans do not believe in any ultimate evil or any equivalent to Satan. Wiccans believe that to give Evil a name gives it power - to act as a scapegoat for example, and is counter-productive. Wiccans NEVER seek power through causing harm to anyone.

Wiccans celebrate 8 Sabbats, which are common to most Pagan traditions:
Four are solstices and equinoxes - the Solar Sabbats/Fire Festivals:

Vernal Equinox/Ostara
Summer Solstice/Midsummer/Litha
Autumnal Equinox/Mabon
Winter Solstic/Yule

The other four are:
Imbolc/Candlemas - Feb 2nd
Beltaine/Mayday - May 1st
Lammas/Lughnasadh - August 1st
Samhain/Halloween - Oct 31st/Nov 1st

The dates and names of the sabbats vary according to tradition.

Wiccans also have Esbats - days set aside for magick/spell work/rituals, most commonly on the full moon.

Um, its getting late so i'll leave it there for now but ill add more later :)