View Single Post
Old 20-09-2011, 08:02 PM
hawkmoth65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorddy
They are both very similar but only in the techniques you use to get into that *meditative state* and that *hypnotic state* are pretty much identical and with that, both states are pretty much the same as well.

The reason they are different:
Okay so think of both states as the same.. Because they pretty much are.

When we are completely aware, we are on a boat, on a boat shaking because the water is very wavy. This water doesn't allow for peace of mind, and especially not for fishing. In order to calm down the water and balance ourselves, we throw an anchor into the ocean. (The anchor being our techniques used to reach this hypnotic/meditative state). Once the anchor is at the bottom and the boat is not shaking anymore, we can do two things.

One *Meditative*: We can sit on the boat and enjoy everything the world has to offer because there is nothing in our way, our boat is completely still, as we are with the world. Still in the present moment = Meditative state, Complete bliss.

Option Two *Hypnotic*: We anchored the boat and now the water is very calm below us. What do most people do on a boat? FISH! So we take out our fishing rods and throw our lines deep into the ocean, sometimes it gets so deep it even hits the bottom of the ocean! ... If you don't understand my metaphor: Once we aren't thinking instead still, we can now focus our attention on our sub/unconscious state of thought. The hypnotic state is meant to allow someone to dig deep down into themselves and understand themselves further. - There is much more to us then the quick responses and quick thoughts we make... People use hypnotic state in order to change themselves - don't eat as much junk food, stop feeling bad for myself, for even finding out the reason why I feel bad for myself..

The hypnotic and meditative states of awareness are both completely alike in how one might reach them, but completely opposite in what they do once they reach them. Meditative: Leaving the confines of your mind and feeling the world outside of thought (feeling energies).. While Hypnotic: Digging in deep within one self to find what energies and thoughts are lying in the mist.
Jorddy,this is a quite brilliant explanation and analogy,thank you.So the two states of awareness are the same,it just depends on what we do when we get to them.Just one more question though if its ok.Is it possible to set out to simply meditate but inadvertently slip into a hypnotic state?I understand meditation can normally be practiced alone,and if this were to occur hypothetically a state of hypnosis could ensue,leaving the subject unable to recover normal consciousness?