View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 08:53 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanemon
Or does a nasty person who is inconsiderate, socially destructive, and jeering have to feel the effects of mean-spirited behaviour to comprehend his/her damaging habits & actions?

Must he or she feel harmed in order to “get the message” and become compassionate, then start to change? Can kind behaviour, by itself, toward a despicable individual bring about change?

How do you see it?

A lot of what you describe is the dark underbelly of tribal behavior. Tribal behavior can have national, racial, ethnic or religious roots. As this is a spiritual forum and this question is posed in the christianity section I will address the religious christian angle of this behavior. Before I do, I would like to preface this by saying that not all christians behave or believe in the way I am about to describe but a good portion still do.

I have encountered christians who are kind to those that live and believe as they do but are mean spirited to other's who do not e.g. gay people, people of other religions etc. This is ironic as Jesus was very inclusive of everyone. I am sure many here have seen bumper stickers that state "Jesus, save me from your followers!" It is a function of selective religious beliefs used to reinforce their tribal behavior.

Fortunately, many christians are disregarding and disavowing those destructive tribal beliefs. I hope to see the christianity movement return to the original teachings of the God within, the tolerance of others, peace and love etc.