View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 06:42 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohdiyana
And mind stream is unchanging according to Buddhism:

Citta-saṃtāna (Sanskrit), literally "the stream of mind",[3] is the stream of succeeding moments of mind or awareness. It provides a continuity of the personality in the absence of a permanently abiding "self" (ātman), which Buddhism denies. The mindstream provides a continuity from one life to another, akin to the flame of a candle which may be passed from one candle to another

The candles change, the flame does not.

Like I said, both religions are referring to the same general concept. To understand the "changing" Buddhism refers to you have to understand the perceiver and the perceived. Imagine you are a camera that's experience is whatever your lens is pointed at. So you as experience is always changing. Now it is an apple, now it is someones face. But see the fact you are a camera never changes. The "soul" or "mind stream" or whatever name you want to give the perceiver is unchanging. What is perceived is what changes. But for all intents and purposes, perception IS what it perceives. Experience is the perception of something other than the perceiver. A perceiver cannot perceive itself. Anything you percieve can't be you by definition if you are that which experiences the other. So if you did ever manage to perceieve yourself, whatever that was would not be you. It's just something you are identified with.

I would also point out souls are not unchanging in Christianity. If they were unchanging, how could they go to hell or heaven or become evil or good? How could fallen angels exist if the souls did not change?

If mindstream is moment to moment then it changes from one moment to the next, like the flame of a candle.
Fallen angels..... don't know much about them as they don't interest me. I was taught the soul is immortal, never changing, never dying or decaying etc: .
I surpose it's like everything, different interpretations from different schools