Thread: Buddha Nature..
View Single Post
Old 22-12-2017, 08:50 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsquotl
Ajahn Chah once explained (I do think it's meant to be understood from within his tradition) That the observed contradictions he seemed to teach were not there.
Imagine someone traveling a mountain pass and there are ravines on both sides. When one is about to fall of to the right he will shout Go left Go left. To keep them from falling off the right side. similarly when someone is about to fall of the left side he will shout. Go right Go right.

This is different than go right to Cessation or go left to be a Bodhisattva.

Anyway Just my 2 cts.

I'll be taking time off from posting for a couple of weeks so wishing you all a merry x-mas, and a fruitful new year.
See y'all on the flip side..

With Love
Eelco

Love Ajahn Chah's teachings - what a teacher!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year also.

FWIW the Bodhisattva vow is congruent with cessation of dukkha IMO because its effectiveness (of the cessation of dukkha) is borne through service and no harm. Ultimately Theravada also teaches on metta at length, and if you think about it, if one person genuinely had loving kindness in their heart, would they not care about others and say things like "not my problem" to the world's woes or another's suffering.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Eelco, that to follow one path is sufficient.
When we discuss different traditions and how to align concepts, it is more for interest and academic fun more than anything.

To mix and dabble cross traditions is unhelpful because each system is designed with a particular mode / it has a system of characteristics/teachings and methods to help each student/genuine practitioner attain enlightenment and ultimately Nibbana, which is in my limited experience, real and the cessation of dukkha, which is what the Buddha penetrated.

Take care

BT