View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 10:39 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
That may be the case these days but in former times things weren't quite as simple. People don't study history so they can't spot the dangers prevailing today in certain "faiths". We no longer burn witches or flail recalcitrant slaves because most religions have lost their power. But there remain faiths that if they have their way will stamp on an individual's right to their personal spiritual development. (I see this happening in the UK and Europe, anyway). With the world in its current state it's impossible to guarantee there'll be no repeat of the religious past.

The point is that religion is a package deal that takes over an individual's spirituality; it becomes responsible for it, limiting that individual's chance of self development. Even the occult has its religious tendencies.

The aim is that one has to follow the doctrine - or one isn't part of that religion. The follower obeys the creed. That's how it is.
Sure, there are breakaways from the hub of most faiths but they are no less religious. You don't own your spirituality while you're "believing in" someone else's doctrine.

I appreciate that it's difficult for many to comprehend. Most of us were brought up from birth with some kind of "faith" and shaking that off can be a problem. Such shaking off usually happens when an alternative is presented prompting an individual to question the whole edifice of religion.

I think basically, the more importance religious thought is given the more problematic it becomes, so the dilemma is, if religious thought was given little to no importance, there would be no religion - which would be very distressing to religious folk because of the inherent identity crisis that reveals. This is not to disregard the importance of thought as a process, but to question if it is prudent to try to preserve thought as a 'thing'? I think the issue is the belief that the thought is true, and therefore important, but there is very fine line, if there is one at all, between 'spreading knowledge' and exercising power, for the mission to convert people to the 'faith' is the endeavour to convince and thereby influence others. This is indeed antithetical to free thought, and I suggest a more productive approach would be to support others on their spiritual discovery rather than convince them that you are right.