View Single Post
Old 27-04-2016, 05:56 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle11
I agree with you. The dying process is what I am dreading. I believe in an afterlife so I am not so afraid of being dead just what happens as I am leaving. I think this might partly because our brains are wired for survival. Our body, despite some people mentally wanting to check out, does everything in it's power to live. So when we feel a threat to our ability to maintain life we go into panic and scramble to do everything we can to fight or flight away from danger. I guess maybe on some level, if we know we will not survive a particular illness we may make peace with the dying process and it becomes less traumatic but I'm definitely not looking forward to it but hopefully I get a kind that is quick and sudden and I am just out of my body without much fanfare. One can hope.

Have you read much literature in the field of Thanatology (NDE's, deathbed experiences/visions, etc)?

We might imagine that drowning would be an awful way to 'go', yet there is an abundance of NDE accounts where individuals were drowning and they report a sense of peace/calmness unexpectedly coming over them while they had been struggling in the water... We would likely never had guessed this would happen if not for coming across other peoples' firsthand accounts of such an experience... It's as if the Soul was preparing to detach (separate) from the physical vessel and therefore the individual's Consciousness is freed from the sense of harm created by the immediate circumstances threatening the body...