View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 02:53 AM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeboNow
I’ve been reading posts in Science and Spirituality and one thing that impresses me in nearly every one is the level of conviction of the authors. Subjects include such hard-to-pin-down concepts as time, quantum mechanics, death, corporeal existence, and self/other, but even the most elusive themes are presented as absolute statements of “what is” as if they’re the most definitive picture of reality.
Are you aware of any communities under the banner of spirituality that do not suffer from this toxic and intensely destructive pattern of thinking?

It seems endemic to the stalled new age movement, and I find it particularly insidious because of its buffet-line nature; anyone who wishes to partake can build their own plate of junk and skip any vegetable they find unpalatable. They gorge on nothing and imagine themselves as the princes and princesses of the universe simply because they've so aggressively defended themselves from contradiction that wrongness can no longer enter their minds. It is the spitting image of the ostrich with its head in the ground as lions ring it 'round.