View Single Post
Old 25-02-2018, 08:33 AM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortoise Walks
I have no agenda to convince anyone to be polyamorous but I imagine a lot of people love more than one person - even romantically. So I choose to be honest about it in my life. Realistically, there is a lot of emotional work, knowledge and communication of self and needs that is required. Definitely need to source happiness from within. I am raising awareness that some people are polyamorous and it's not all about sex/lust, IMO.

I likewise agree that it's up to individuals but the theory is frustrated by the neurology. The brain works to select a favourite in the mating game which is what it comes down to, although it can change through habituation. With Islamic polygamy at least each child knows and is nurtured by its mum. The father (who has to bear the responsibility of provision) is known. In western, post-Christianity, free-love systems, the question becomes who's the father and what responsibility should they have? Should the community as a whole upbring the children? What if it fails? Thankfully the arrival of the pill in 1961 facilitated free love and reduced the risk of pregnancy.

I can't see how the term polyamory can relate to non-sensual relations as we'd all be "guilty" of it so it becomes meaningless. Agreed most of us feel varieties of love for different people. What I feel for my parents isn't the same love I feel for my b/f (assuming it's love) which isn't the same as I feel for my soul mate or zumba teacher, etc.