View Single Post
Old 16-04-2019, 03:22 PM
Seeker

What is the purpose of religion?

I believe the purpose of religion is the answer the following four great existential questions:

1. Who am I?
2. Why am I here?
3. What does it all mean?
4. What is going to happen to me when I die?

In many ways, these are unanswerable questions. Many people are very uncomfortable with the idea of not-knowing the answers to these questions. So in order to feel more comfortable, people invent religion in order to have concrete answers to these questions.

Here are my basic answers but still a work in progress:

1. My consciousness is the Universe's way of experiencing itself. We are all made of the very substance we are experiencing. As human being, I express a common set of Archetypal energies. But I also have a set of unique experiences, points of view, and character quirks that make me endearing or repulsive to people I interact with.
2. I am here to experience God's greatness. I am here to help other people appreciate God's greatness with enthusiasm and happiness.
3. What is all means is everything we experience is part of God's realization of omnipotence. The Universe exist for the realization of unimaginable possibilities. We are here to bring into existence or experience unimaginable possibilities.
4. When we die, we all go into the light and experience God's infinite beauty in an experience of everlasting eternal heavenly bliss. I think everyone gets to go into the light regardless of our earthly sins or how we practiced or not practiced our religion. Going into the light and experiencing God's infinite beauty and perfection is the greatest possible experience we could ever possible have.

So how do you answer these four questions? It's okay to regurgitate your favorite dogma. Or be brave and express what you think in your own thoughts.