View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 10:09 PM
Pathfinder

Yo, I can hardly say that these are words of wisdom, but I graduated last year, and yeesh, am I glad to be out. I felt oppressed and felt as though the only part that wasn't a waste of time (separate from the occasional essay and book I enjoyed and thought was stimulating) was the journalism program and photography. I got through by distracting myself. And by telling myself, "All I have to do is pass these classes and graduate, then I can do what I love." and then I'd also be like, "BUT THIS is STUPID!" and then throw my pen down onto my computer in frustration and write in my journal about how it felt like it was eating away at my soul. So I just did as little of the work as possible (and still pass). I was also absent a lot for health reasons, so although my health concerns were severe, I did reap the benefits. For example, in my chemistry class which I managed to get a C in after missing over 40 days (still proud of that), I just read the material at home when I wasn't in too much pain to focus (which was most of the time), and I made a deal about the labs because I had the most trouble completing those: I took photos of the chemical reactions and the steps to complete them (because I am a photographer, and I can say that I am very good, especially considering that I have over 17 awards and that one came in the mail during her class which helped XD), so what I'd say is voice your concerns to the teacher, and if they are willing to make a deal, i.e. taking photos of labs instead of doing the lab reports, or doing whatever your skill set is that you can to help them in some way, in exchange for passing grades, or just tell yourself every hour at the beginning of a class, "It's almost over. Just an hour more. At the end of the day, after I finish some stupid homework, I can (whatever you enjoy in life, even if it's just sleeping at this point; it will change)." But also be sure to communicate with your teachers; I can't tell you how important that is. I would've failed out of high school if I hadn't just talked to all my teachers regularly, and if they sense you have drive and a good heart, and you say you're struggling, there's a good chance that they'll help you out as much as they can.

Last edited by Clover : 10-01-2016 at 05:40 AM.