View Single Post
Old 28-12-2017, 09:48 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsquotl
I guess that depends. I for one would like to hear exactly what you do when you practice and how these practices lead to the results you aspire. If these practices lead to similar results in other people who have practices thus. I doubt anyone in the know would disagree.

Mahasi Sayadaw for instance got a ton of disagreement when he thought his style of Vipassana. It did however yield the promised results, That is why it has become so widespread.

The applied practice I do is just breath meditation and body awareness. I try to feel the most subtle nuances of my sensations as I possibly can. The fundamental practice is conscious awareness with equanimity.

Quote:
Sattipatthana sutta philosophical? To me it read as a training manual.

Yes, it's a basic outline of the meditation.

Quote:
As long as you would stick to the sutta, and the direct experiential observable reality of what is described all should be fine. I for one would love to hear your explanation of abiding with dhammas.

I don't know what 'abiding with dhammas' means.

Quote:
I'd like to hear what you do to regain a calm mind in practice.

WIth Love

The psychological reactivity we experience as agitation of the mind is reactivity to the feeling. Because I am conscious of the feel I am conscious of any reactivity which arises, and by being conscious in this way, I am better able to remain calm and balanced.

This isn't explained in the Satipatthana, but it is talked about in other teachings such as the dependent arisings. As I said in my earlier post, that involves the wider philosophy.