View Single Post
Old 18-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Animus27

I think there's a lot to be said about interfaith dialogue and learning of different religions. Although, one thing I have noticed in the comparative religion/universalizing tread is that it thrives upon superficiality. Now, I'm not saying your personal path is, not at all. But it takes a lot of knowledge, wisdom and acute perception to synthesize separate religions and philosophies.
For instance, if someone is interested in Theravada Buddhism and Roman Catholicism, there can be many moral and ethical analogues that can be used to bridge them. Even so, the two religions operate under fundamentally different worldviews that have vastly dissimilar assumptions - namely, Catholicism insists in an immortal, personal soul that each individual possesses; whereas Theravada claims there is no such thing as a self. It's true that one can practice Vipassana while accepting Church dogmas. But the question is to what degree can one glean understanding of each tradition when they reject keystones that are considered foundational for whatever reason.

My personal opinion is that anyone syncretizing religions has to learn about the tradition in it's own terms at first, which helps in developing a subtle grasp upon the matter. When done with an open and perceiving mind, the results can be very interesting and rewarding. Or something. Heck if I know.