View Single Post
Old 16-09-2019, 08:15 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymus
No, the genuine Atheist [a-theism does not mean materialism] will not go to hell, because the Atheist is closer to Divine Truth than he realizes.

There is a theological school of thought, which I personally use, called "Via Negativa," which basically takes the path of denying or negating God as a way to come to an understanding of what God is. Google: "Apophatic Theology."

A quick quote that aptly describes Via Negativa, from the Wikipedia article regarding Apophatic Theology:

"We do not know what God is. God Himself does not know what He is because He is not anything [i.e., "not any created thing"]. Literally God is not, because He transcends being." -- John Scotus Erigena

The Atheist is just one step behind the natural philosopher and Buddhist. The Atheist will say to themselves: "God does not exist." And the natural philosopher and Buddhist will take that line of thought one step further and ask: "Then what is the quiddity of non-existence?"

The Atheist will say: "I don't believe in God because he is nowhere to be seen or observed." The natural philosopher and Buddhist will take that one step further and ask: "Then what is the quiddity of Nowhere?"

The Atheist will say: "God is not real." The natural philosopher and Buddhist will take that one step further and ask: "Then what is the quiddity of Non-reality?"

The Atheist will say: "God is nothing." The natural philosopher and Buddhist will take that line of thought one step further and ask: "Then what is the quiddity/suchess of No-Thingness [sunyata]?"

Such an interesting comment.

I can vouch for such questioning.

I spent many years as an atheist and I also spent quite a lot of time exploring these sorts of ideas and feelings.

As a result, when someone asks me what religion I am or what I believe, I now say that I am a 'nothing' - as in I believe in the beingness contained or the possibility of being contained within the nothing.

I currently have no other name for this state other then 'nothing' lol.

So I went from believing in nothing to being a nothing so that I could be a something... Lol...