View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 08:34 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindchanger
Thanx for all of you for your kind replies.
Is there any way to get rid of depression without medicines.
One of my friends has advised me to read Benefits Of Meditation , therefore, I am still in search of Meditation Institute. Without the teacher, I don't want to start meditation.

It depends on the cause of depression. I agree that taking pharmaceutical drugs to deal with depression should only be a last resort. Such drugs seem to suppress the symptoms without dealing with the underlying causes.

Some say that depression is due to chemical imbalances in the brain, and there are various herbs and mineral supplements which are meant to be effective. There is plenty of information available online.

Others say that depression is due to suppressed emotions such as pain and fear, usually from our childhood. This makes sense to me. Counselling and therapy can help us get in touch with these suppressed emotions. If we can bring them to the surface to be released then the cause of depression is removed.

You say that you don't want to start meditation without a teacher. For you, what is the role of the teacher? Simple meditation techniques do not require a teacher - you can even learn them from a book. A meditation class can be helpful to get you started, and it should help you find the discipline to practise on your own.

A meditation teacher is useful if you want to practise a particular path. Then it helps to find someone who has travelled along that path. They may still have a long way to go but they should have enough experience to give you some guidance.

So perhaps you need to decide what type of meditation you are drawn to. Then try to find a teacher who teaches that meditation. You do not have to wait until you find such a teacher to begin your practice. There is plenty you can do to prepare yourself until such a teacher appears.

Peace.