View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 03:12 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I think spiritual life is essentially not an identity in that it pertains to universal truths such as awareness, that pertain to all people regardless of their religion.

It is probably does.

I have rituals to elicit certain psychological states, and assist in consistency, but just for mundane activity such as lifting weights, and I don't give them any importance.

Sure, there is a lot of research that shows tremendous social benefits, but it does tend to be quite exclusive on the condition of conformed belief. I used to volunteer at a homeless kitchen run by a church, and the people there just assumed I was a Christian, so I didn't say otherwise nor talk about spiritual things. When I meditated in ashrams I became deeply involved with the sangha, but I had my own ways, which I didn't talk about. This meant I wasn't actually a part of the respective groups simply because I didn't revere their iconic figures or ascribe to their teachings in any blind faith. At the church, the pastor asked me what denomination I belong to, and I said I was baptised Anglican, but I'm not a practicing Christian (which is true), and he said, it's OK because I am baptised I am accepted into the kingdom of Christ.

In my kingdom, it's different because it's more like, everyone breathes, everyone thinks, everyone is aware, and we all have our own outlandish beliefs.

Hi Gem,

Can agree to each their own.

It what keeps life interesting for me. How boring it would be if we all thought the same.

I think if more were willing to agree to disagree and get on with it, perhaps all the dust kicked up would settle down a bit.