View Single Post
Old 28-07-2011, 07:20 AM
not human

Instant Enlightenment

I am starting to hate the sound of the word E N L I G H T E N M E N T.
Which I don't think is a bad thing. Probably in the same spiritual bag as KILL YOUR IDOLS. As the more the carrot it shoved in your face, the more it starts to loose its flavour. Die carrot die!!!!
It seems the last couple of years we have had offers ot instant enlightenment coming from all quarters of the spiritual market place.
One that springs to mind is BIG MIND which I don't know much about but apparently Zen koans are used in such a way as to stimulate a liberation through confounding the mind. I have a slight understanding & appreciation of Koans but from an outside point of view the process appears contrived & shallow.
Or that could just be sour grapes having spent most of my life discovering through misadventure & not finding an easy way myself. I do wonder though if the term enlightenment is being used flippantly to describe any form of realization & shift of conciousness.
Anywho why do you think these avenues for instant enlightenment are appearing & do you feel there is any validity to them.
I personally don't have a experience of enlightenment & am not drawn to it. I did have it as a goal in my early days of meditation but realized that trying to instill any change was taking me away from acceptance.
If I don't get any postings here I can't blame you ...you are probably over it as well :)

Last edited by not human : 28-07-2011 at 08:22 AM.