View Single Post
Old 25-05-2018, 03:44 PM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47
A true follower may slip with a small sin, and some even do sins God will not accept willfully, or they are mislead into practing a sin. But at 1 Corinthians 6:9-11-- It makes the statement, That is what some of you were( past tense) Repentence is the stopping of the doing of a sin.
Even at 1 John 3-- it teaches who are Gods children, or who are the devils children. It makes the statement--- Its impossible for a child of God to practice even one sin.

So, I presume on your statements that you feel you are sin free? Or, at best, you sin only sporadically and consider these "small" sins? What is a small sin? Isn't all sin equal and worthy of the fire? Jesus made a point when he emphasised how if we are to avoid sin we are all hopeless. In Matthew 5:21 Jesus says: "You have heard that it was said to the ancients, ‘Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment."

Jesus was pointing out that the old law said you would be committing a sin if you murder someone, but he tells you even if you've just considered it in your mind, you've also committed it. Just the same as lustful actions, even if you've just looked at someone lustfully for 1 second, you have committed that action in your mind! - The point he is making is it's IMPOSSIBLE to avoid it. Unless one was to go around and never have any thoughts or take in anything he see's or hears, we will all slip up many times daily! Hell I can sometimes slip up before I even get out of bed in the morning.

He was emphasising to us that we can not save ourselves, we cannot be perfect, we cannot stop sinning no matter how hard we try. Instead we are to just TRUST that he has sorted it for us, and our gratitude and repentance as how we receive this atoning factor. If it is as you say, impossible for someone to be saved if they practice just one single sin - then you my friend, as well as me are both going to the fire because everyone practice sins of all kinds, subconsciously and consciously every day in many different ways, and no, it cannot be stopped. The whole reason God needed to create the Final Sacrifice in the first place to deal with this.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 is telling us we were previously sinners who were lost in our sin and dead to the world. The past tense is there because IN CHRIST (not in our own works) we are now anew because of Christ and his gift we receive through repentance. Repentance doesn't mean we never do the same thing again, but rather when we do slip up we feel true remorse and always repent of it and seek forgiveness - which is always freely given as a response to that faith.

Paul himself confessed to living in sin in his Letter to the Romans.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[a] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. Romans 7:15-20

We are no different - we know what is right and what is wrong, we know what is truth and what is false, our hearts and faith are in the right place but in our sinful nature we continue to do the things we know we shouldn't do. We are completely lost in our sin - BUT......... We are no longer dead in it, that is the PAST tense. We are now free of the wages of sin because that very sin has already been blotted out in the death of Christ who paid it for us, so whilst we are sinners, we are equally sinless - wrapped in the glory of Christ himself. We are 100% sinner and 100% saint.

God bless.