View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPointField
Ok, I'm gonna take a bit of a risk with this thread and I hope at least some other people are honest enough with themselves to realize maybe they have this issue as well and not think I'm a big jerk. Hopefully?
Actually, I especially respect & trust those who are honest about both their strengths & weaknesses, as you have been.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPointField
...Anyway, my point is that I think this is one of the biggest hurdles to spiritual development in general - constantly working to understand and deeply integrate the idea that we are both brilliantly special and completely insignificant in the big scheme of things, WITHOUT either hating ourselves for the bad things or putting ourselves "above" others for the good things.
I've heard that the spiritual cause of bi-polar (either "all good" or " all bad") thinking... is "an extreme expression of our desire to do right & our denial of wrong doing."
Another "thinking distortion" that may contribute to this... is "fallacy of fairness" - which is rooted in truth. When we're born, our survival depends on being "important enough" to be cared for. If others are cared for instead of us, we may be neglected & die. Of course, as adults, we are responsible for our survival & thriving.

Other related thinking distortions that I've been trying to think better about are... taking things personally, jumping to conclusions, over-generalization & always being right.

Anyway, I think our ego gives us necessary illusions that help us have confidence in exploring higher truths, while also keeping us humble.