View Single Post
Old 03-03-2018, 01:08 PM
Master
Some excellent advice from all contributors - good thread! For me, meditation is simply about allowing to arise with minimal resistance whatever needs to arise, whether that's agitation, restlessness, upset, or whatever. I think people do often have preconceptions about how their meditation is supposed to go, they think it's about having a quiet mind, or inner peace, or union with God, and so on, when for me it's really about throwing all those expectation out of the window and simply being present with whatever arises, without trying to manipulate one's experience. It can be very challenging, particularly if you're just starting out, and it does require patience and perseverance - and, as has been said, you can very often find yourself feeling worse, not better! But that's actually likely showing that it's working, funnily enough :)

Stick with it, AisLynn, it sounds like you're making good progress
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEN34
There's no secret to it. I get very still, a few deep inhales and exhales to clear your openings, close my eyes and focus on my breath until it's settled, which can vary as to how long, then allow thoughts to come and go - and emotions - without labeling them, without doing a detour on them and starting a novel - just simply observe.
I chuckled at the bit in bold - how did you know about my meditation practice! FYI I'm making excellent progress on my sequel to 'War & Peace'