View Single Post
Old 26-01-2018, 09:01 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsquotl
I don't think he said that. He said that all phenomenal experiences are subject to 3 characteristics.
Annica(impermanence)
Dukkha(stress, unsatisfactoryness,suffering)
Annata(not-self)

I belief he points to a state called nibbanna that is supra-phenomenal and is not subject to these 3 characteristics.
Some talk about entering nibanna is life as enlightenment and maha-nibanna which is only entered after death. As an Arhat you still have a body, you still move around and are in need of nourishment.

I suspect that an arhat still experiences what an ordinary man experiences, but his or her relationship to that experience is changed. How.. Well I'll let you know when I get there..

You know relationships can change by just one question. I haven't seen my parents for that reason for over 2 years now. Some stupid question and poof. Now I'm not saying a relationship will always do that, but it does go a long way in seeing some of the wisdom in what you can control when it comes to relationships. Until that question though I have had a pretty good relationship with my parents for the better part of 43 years.
And here we are. Both incapable of reconcile what happened then.

Does that mean it doesn't affect me? Nope.
Do I want it to not affect me? also no.

What Buddhism tought me however is to let go what I cannot control and not dive myself into a depression over it. But to accept that this is how things are now.
I think about it almost daily, but these thoughts come and go, my feelings about them come and go. And many times during the day I don't think about them.
All these thoughts, feelings and moments of absence of feelings and thoughts about them come and go. They arise, stay a while and pass. Just as the Buddha said they would.

With Love
Eelco