View Single Post
Old 30-08-2017, 02:14 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volaju
Luckily I took training for that already. I haven't really failed any interviews because I'm very well spoken. My issues are more with budget and just not having a footing.

Here in the UK I have noticed that employers want you to essentially swear allegiance to the company.

It also appears that the interviewers buy into a lot of body language techniques etc which work on some basic level but are also so basic that there would be other signs to go along with say eye contact as an example.

I for example feel that my gaze is too strong, the windows to the soul etc so I'm not going to concentrate my eyes on some 50 something old man unnecessarily. They might interpret that as lack of confidence but that's just moronic if you also have great answers & anecdotes etc.

There have been jobs that I am super over qualified for yet have not had a call back because I think that the next guy in the line hit all of the talking points.

I had a group interview once where even though I had handled thousands of ££'s every day & made on-the-fly decisions in my previous job the interviewer clearly liked the stock answers given by the Romanian next to me.

She wrote assessments on our answers & whilst I didn't see what she wrote this guy could say something like "I have always wanted to work for Walmat" & she would write lots down on the paper about him. Where can you go with that answer, does it show initiative or confidence - no.

It's like a lot of things in life whereby the people asking often want a certain answer, my best jobs came from going completely off script & just talking to the interviewer but if they are just office minions then you can be in for a rough ride unless you speak minion.

Waaaay extreme but have you ever considered the police or military? In the UK anyway you can earn class 3 driving licences as part of the training which are a great back up if your stuck for work later in life.

"I am your creation.
Now, as before - you criticise your own work."

- Legacy Of Kain