View Single Post
Old 22-02-2020, 04:54 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Okay and the point I was worried about.

Nothing in Buddhism say's to stay in anger, jealousy, craving as it is as you experience it now.

That can be confused with stay in the upset compared to being in the present moment.

One can't be in the present moment if one is caught up in issues/fears

Well, you can experience things as they are now, you can know, this is agitation, jealousy, fear or whatever the case might be, and the meditators do recognise this of themselves as every person without exception has their own life issues.

In satipatthana sutta it says in the section on The Observation of Mind and the section on The Observation of Mental Contents: If the agitation is there understand it is there, and if the peace is there understand it is there. I'm just mentioning it generally, but the text lists a number of mental states which you can reference yourself. Within the prescribed observation you will notice that these states, regardless of what these states are, are not permanent. You watch them arising and also passing away and know full well that they cannot possibly be 'stayed in'; but if you happen to be in a state of some kind now, understand properly that is the state you are in. Of course you can't possibly stay in a state, so don't waste time with that.

Here I will elaborate because it is not the intellectual understanding of impermanence in itself that brings resolution, but how the truth of the nature of the states as passing brings greater equanimity to the mind. With equanimity your aversion toward jealousy lapses, and you simply see it is a fact, 'this jealosy has pervaded my mind', and you have no desire for it, you have no aversion toward it, so it passes in its own time without your concern.

The passage ends: "Thus he dwells observing the phenomenon of passing away in the mind, thus he dwells observing the phenomenon of arising and passing away in the mind. Now his awareness is established: "This is mind!" Thus he develops his awareness to such an extent that there is mere understanding along with mere awareness. In this way he dwells detached, without clinging towards anything in the world [of mind and matter]. This is how, monks, a monk dwells observing mind in mind." (https://www.tipitaka.org/stp-pali-eng-parallel.shtml#27)