View Single Post
Old 21-12-2010, 06:31 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by 002 Cents
I think I would really enjoy a longer retreat... maybe once my kids are High School or Collage age. I think the day longs will have to do till then.

So, I am going to post to the best of my recollection... I really don't trust my memory enough to put it as a quote but I think I got the gist.

To the first question:

Ajahn Yatiko - Sometimes when we make it a conscious decision to take a path away from what we were taught we find that path to be a very lonely one. You will find there are many things that aren't going to work for you and you are just going to have to throw them to the wind. When it comes to determining what to keep and what to throw out, if you are new to Buddhism I would recommend you start with these two tools, truth and goodness.

Ajahn Karunadhammo - To elaborate more on External Conflict and Internal Conflict, sometimes external has to become internal... (I hate to admit this but I don't remember this part cause I realized my jaw was trembling out of the shock that a Monk was talking to me so I was trying to keep the trembling under control) ... To prevent internal from becoming external you really only need to think about what is going to happen as a result of your actions before you act.

And to the Second:

Ajahn Yatiko - His third year of living in a Monastery in Tibet.

Ajahn Karunadhammo - The first time he read of the 5 precepts he realized he had been Buddhist from the very moment he started defining his spirituality some years prior.

I really don't do their stories justice though there was more history there and I just don't remember the names of all the Monks and Nuns they named who had influenced them along the way.

Cool!

I think the most important thing is to continue daily practice of the meditation technique you learned, which theoretically should lead to the direct experience of wisdom, and the learning of wisdom at the intellectual level might be enough to inspire the practice.

Please descrribe the technique they taught.