View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 05:08 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalsun
I have a question and you might help. I remember a long ime ago I saw that "Indiana Jones" and the tample of the doomed movie. I am sure you have seen it.

The first time i saw indian people, they were Shiva devotees, actually.They seemed very kind and spiritual and respectful. I just liked them.

I am interested how such people live in their everyday life. Just thei culture, relations ,customs, and their life generally. And spiritual life.

I guess i need a book like a novel, like from an indian author. Just some ordinary story, something Indian. Sth. that can show what are they like and how do they live ( and their spirituality).

You understand me. :)
Of course I understand you.

Shiva devotees are usually and for the most part, peaceful, serene and loving people who are in tune with nature and the cosmic forces.

I like that Indiana Jones movie, by the way.

The Vedas and Upanishads are all pretty much impersonal...the latter in particular...basically, and when all is said and done, the message is: "Dont look outside yourself to find Shiva, because you ARE that".

There we go, I have just saved you months of reading.

However, for a few of us, that is too cut and dried, or it raises more questions than it answers. We like to find the path that leads from the without TO the within and from the within, back to the without and mythology suits that purpose..

...and who cares if it is "true" or not? It may be...it may not be...nobody knows for sure and that's the whole beauty of mythology, because noboby knows for sure if what they perceive as being "real" or "true" is thus anyway.

If you would like to see a book about how the devotees of Shiva live, let me introduce you to Swami Krishnananda's Guru, Swami Sivananda Saraswati and his book, "Lord Siva and His Worship":

https://www.google.com/search?q=lord...obile&ie=UTF-8

For some reason I cannot get the exact URL on my mobile phone, but I am sure you can find it.

This was the first book I ever read on Lord Siva.

For the more adventurous, Youtube has episodes of the Shiva Maha Purana subtitled in English:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E62xx3mjEwI

Just follow each episode from there and it goes into ALL of the stories of Shaivism and Hinduism one by one....if you watched each episode back to back, it takes about 6 weeks to see them all.

If you want to go into the more esoteric side of it, there are two books that explain it all....neither of them are free though:

Shiva and the Primordial Tradition - Alain Danielou
Bali - Sekala and Niskala - Fred Eisman

There we go, you have just exhausted all of my reading, watching and listening material which should keep you very busy for the next six months.

All the best and good luck with it.

Aum Namah Shivaya