View Single Post
Old 10-01-2019, 01:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPVerma
INDIAN SCRIPTURES describe in detail the history of Allah or Ashura Maya Danav who lived in Armenia around 100 million till 1400 BC. He was a great devotee of Lord Shiva from whom he learnt the art of bringing dead to life thereby he obtained godhood status among his followers.

Once he participated in churning of Milk Ocean ( White Sea ) 99.3 million yrs ago . Among many other things including gems and jewels, an invaluable piece of metal in shape of crescent emerged out of the sea. It was given to Maya Danav who presented it to Lord Shiva. Shiva accepted it and tagged it on his hair mats as locket. Since then Shiva came to be known as ' Chandra Sekher , and Muslims took it as their holy symbol.

It is presumed that the holy stone of Kabba was also obtained from the churning of Milk Ocean.
I like to think of it another way..

Not only is there a crescent moon, but also a star.

If we look at the symbol for the pranava AUM, at the top, there is Bindu...A crescent moon and a star:

https://goo.gl/images/BGqUY8

So rather than associating the Islamic crescent with Lord Shiva, as I would normally do (because I associate EVERYTHING with Lord Shiva), in this specific case, I am more inclined to associate it with AUM.

Besides which, I always thought that the Moon Deity (Chandra Deva) went to Lord Shiva for refuge after being cursed by Prajapati Daksha for taking an interest in one of his wives, Rohini...and Daksha cursed the Moon to keep on waning day by day until it totally vanished from sight forever...So Lord Shiva kept the moon in his hair as a promise that nothing bad would ever happen to it... well, that's the story I got told anyway.