View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 09:00 PM
Master

"Is there a society for enlightened people?"..........Perhaps the closest thing that I can think of would be the Quakers that practice unprogramed worship. Not to say that they are composed on enlightened people but that their system provides the greatest possibility for enlightenment in a formal or organized system. The emphasis on silence provides an excellent means for accessing the spiritual. Basically devoid of dogma, creed etc. Also based on the assumption of an inner light whose access is privately achieved or arrived at. I would not judge the efficacy of their beliefs or methods by the number of adherents which is relatively small. There are not enough bells and whistles to appeal to modern sensibilities and not fast track enough to appeal to those who desire a quick fix.

In contrast if religions intend to be manipulative(as religious detractors so often assert) these same religions are taking a calculated risk when they invite their adherents to sincere, dedicated and true prayer. If one is actually engaged in silent prayer that religion has no control of what the Divine might convey to those individuals. In many cases this encouragement of prayer has resulted in the abandonment of formal religion. I suspect this is the case with more than a few who frequent forums such as this. In effect there are many who decry the very ones that motivated them and introduced them to the spiritual paths that they now embrace.