View Single Post
Old 10-07-2019, 08:03 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jainarayan
Every Hindu child knows it's a living evolving religion, and what its origins are. We know we don't perform animal sacrifices anymore. We know for the most part how many schools and sects there are. We know the name Hinduism is an umbrella term for what may be hundreds of major, minor, local and even unknown beliefs.

Not entirely accurate. "Hindu" comes from the Old Persian name for what we call the Indus River... Sindhu. Persian and Sanskrit have a regular sound shift between h and s. Sapta sindhu/hapta hindu; Hairovati/Saraswati...

The people were named Hindu because they were from beyond/across the Sindhu (Indus) River.

Yeah, as I suspected, nitpicking over a name. We don't draw a time or name distinction between Vedic religion and what we call Hinduism. To us it's all Hinduism, properly called Sanātana Dharma, Eternal Way/Law, whether it's Vedic, "Brahmanic" or Puranic.

Yes, thank you I know all that. Again, you're posturing over a name that I've never heard used in real life. We don't refer to anything as Brahmanism. We don't draw a distinction other than to say "we do this today, we don't do that anymore". Ninety percent of Hindus are "village Hindus"... we practice our religion, pray, worship and live life according to the tenets of Sanātana Dharma. Most Hindus have never read the Vedas or Upanishads. We know parts of them word of mouth.

I suspected as much.

So yes, Buddhism is an offshoot of Sanātana Dharma, which includes the ancient Vedic, Brahmanic and current Puranic religion.

Yes I have heard that some Hindus think it's an ' Offshoot ' but Suttas reveal it isn't, so we can agree to differ.