Thread: What is grief?
View Single Post
Old 13-09-2018, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator
I feel for what you wrote, Empowers.

Yes even when we know -perhaps by personal experience -that loved ones are safe in the next world and even when we know for sure they still love us very much, there can still be some grieving.
Yes we do miss their physical presence. We miss them in "our world" ! We can also be grieving -not only for their presence -but for life as it was at the time they were here with us. We don't just "lose" a friend/family member, we lose that part of our lives too.

But I have explored grief, and found the emotions of grieving to not necessarily be "negative emotions" at all. Of course, that differs from person to person, so I can't say that with one big sweeping statement. Nothing is black or white.
But sometimes parts of the grieving process can actually put us into closer contact with our Souls. Sometimes we feel so much that the ego based Self steps back and allows something deeper to shine.

In my own experience of grief (early stage) I entered a tremendous stillness. Nothing else mattered. I was grateful of course, to be utterly alone at that time, to allow that to happen, as it happened naturally. That stillness in itself put me in closer touch with my own Soul which was graceful.
So no....grief isn't always about "negative emotions".

As for crying, missing a loved one, struggling to adjust, having "melt-down" times, then getting back on your feet again....well I think that is a normal process (though difficult) And those things have no time limit. Even when we know for sure the loved one still lives in Spirit and still loves us very much.
We are raggedy Beings. There is no shame in that...but we can still shine with a little light at times.