View Single Post
Old 07-07-2015, 09:35 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal68
Oh yes, its a bit too technical isn't it. You've got the John Edwards fluffy books at one end and this on the other. I like things like Chris Carter or David Fontana or Julia Assante that sit in the middle.

I do like Tom campbells depictions of his OBEs, particularly the Big Cheese as he calls it who keeps us all in line on the other side.

I totally get what you're saying... 13 years ago when my Mom passed on, I initially started out reading very elementary type books (like the John Edward types), which provided a needed but limited sense of psychological comfort during a time of feeling deep loss/grief. After a little while I was ready to move onto doing more serious investigating/exploring and I started to examine texts on Near-Death Experience accounts and alleged past-life memories. From there I became more focused on not so much the 'afterlife', but on contemplating and reflecting upon the nature of consciousness, and trying to understand the working of the physical mind. I found that quite helpful because I was exploring myself in the process. Even though I no longer relate to those early books I read when I started my spiritual journey/seeking, in hindsight I find value in having read them because they help get me going and allowed me to slowly introduce my awareness to thinking outside of the box and beyond the confines of a physical/material 'reality'.

I did read Chris Carter's book on the 'afterlife' and I enjoyed his writing & communication style - clear, articulate, and very thorough. I was curious if his book on NDE's was any good but I'm reluctant to read it only because that subject matter has been exhausted on my end by this point....

I forget how Campbell described his conceptualization of 'The Big Cheese'...