Thread: Flexitarian.
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2018, 02:55 AM
Experiencer

I'm glad that you have at least cut back on your meat consumption Burntfruit.

As for your contention that the vegetarian groups are 'posting healthier meals' than the vegan groups, I would suggest that you've been subscribing to or viewing the wrong vegan groups. I was a member of a WFPB group (whole food plant based group=super vegan(don't use oil in their cooking) ) and never a day went by that I wasn't hearing from some member that they had recovered from heart disease or asthmatic attacks or rheumatoid arthritis or diabetes or fatty liver disease and all since they'd switched to a plants only diet. One lady who recovered from fatty liver disease and lost 100 pounds reported that her husband, who'd been diagnosed with MS just before they switched their diet to plants only, was free of all symptoms and indicators of MS three years after making the switch.

There are definitely some people who go 'vegan for the animals' and bizarrely see no importance of eating healthy even though they are 'inadvertent' poster kids for this kind of eating. But suggesting that 'the vegan groups' mostly eat junk food is a distortion of the facts I think. That would be like me making a rude blanket statement about 'most of the people living in London' (which I'd never do by the way).

I've been a vegan for ten years, made the change from vegetarian to vegan over a weekend and will never go back. I spent almost ten years learning about the abuses and the environmental aspects and the health aspects with the outcome being that this is now my forever way of life.

Last year, because of my age (62), the doctor ordered a complete blood panel and everything was perfect. Perfect protein levels, inflammation levels, liver and kidney function....my doctor was envious of my numbers!

There's a bit of a learning curve, but to be honest, it gets easier every day. Ben & Jerry's (to name only one company) now has non-dairy ice cream that is sooo good, you would NEVER know that cows weren't involved in it at all. And So Good makes a coconut based ice cream (Salted Caramel) that is incredible! And if you like cooking, there's an endless list of great websites to get recipes from. The one I always like to recommend is called Oh She Glows.

I sure hope that you not only 'dip your toe' in veganism again, but just dive right in. And that you do it right and focus on good food that will give you a better chance of attaining health than any other diet.