View Single Post
Old 25-05-2017, 09:42 PM
Lorelyen

It's difficult. Subliminal means below the threshold. I suppose in human communication it slips past conscious awareness (of communication occurring) so a message bypasses intellectual censoring.

It works with those susceptible to the medium - is why, for instance, PVRs and broadcasters allow a maximum fast-forward through adverts of 30x. You may not see the ad as a narrative but the semiotic/sign cues may be picked up unwittingly, perhaps making the ad more effective! Having said that the frame rate of TVs is 25 or 30 depending where you live so the exposure in one frame would be 40 or 33 milliseconds. Whether that's below or above the threshold I don't really know.

It also needs cultural context. No use shooting a verbal message in a language not spoken by the receiver. No use flashing a picture that could be widely interpreted if the sender is aiming to be specific. Interesting though that a subliminal message may stimulate a reaction even if the receiver wouldn't comprehend the message in conscious awareness.

I'm not a believer in the Freudian idea that human data processing is split into two fixed segments. (Experiential stuff for instance seems to span the boundary - if there is one). So while I accept that subliminal communication does work I doubt it's as simple as triggering things in the hidden part of a bi-level construct like conscious/subconscious. It could simply trigger a memory. However my views are no more valid than those who believe in this dichotomy so, whatever goes.