View Single Post
Old 07-06-2019, 06:43 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
It's like riding a bike, and someone hasn't ridden before. So they read and ponder and hear words like 'turn' 'brake' 'rotate' or whatever. At first, it's a little hard to grok - you know, you kind of get it but not quite. But when you ride, after a few falls, it's generally easier to understand the concept behind the words. That's how I see Buddhist practice, and the reason that words are even spoken in the first place - mere encouragement and explanation of potentiality, for those so inclined.

JL

Hi JL.
Very true analogy, thanks.... This is something which seemed to be at play in my consciousness yesterday as well.

IT was funny because after I posted this I went to sleep and had a dream which ended up waking me in the end.
Strangely enough the whole concept was present in the pit of my awareness as a sense and inner knowing.

So I have inner 'knowing' now and inner sensing of the concept.

I think the difference for me and my experience has been that detachment has been my default mode so I never really had a strong sense that I could even be attached to experiences good or bad to begin with. So I found that the language was very often geared for people who already had a strong sense of identity and experience to attach to.
I was always encouraged to not attach to anything in my church growing up so I really did struggle to bridge that divide.

Now I have realised that I can actually fully appreciate and become absorbed in experiences in the moment... I took detachment to an unhealthy extreme and it meant that I was not present to experience things at all.

I seem to do things a little backwards to most.

Buddhism is not a great philosophy if your starting point is trauma based detachment but it is working well for me now that I have healed past trauma and come to a place where I actually now have a sense of 'self or essence or infinite self' or what have you...' to not need to attach to changable traits of ego identity. I do value personal values though but they are ever changeable too.

Thanks...

I apologise if my writing is not well structured, I have some difficulties communicating concise thoughts on this forum sometimes. I appreciate the opportunity to communicate though.