View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 02:56 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditate
I have been practicing yoga nidra for about 8 years in order to overcome depression and anxiety associated with PTSD and chronic back pain.
Recently I was reading a novel where the protagonist did a week long meditation course which culminated in a practice where participants were invited to imagine their physical bodies floating away, atom by atom.
I didn't think I would be able to achieve this state but found that after my normal meditation I was able to visualise this. Immediately my pain disappeared, no physical body equalled no physical pain. I also experienced a high that was as intense as serious painkillers such as OxyContin. The high lasted for hours and the pain was gone for days. I was able to refresh the feeling the day after I first undertook the meditation but haven't been able to achieve it since. I think I'm focusing on the outcome more than the process.
Has anybody else tried this meditation and/or had similar experiences?

Sure, as the mind gets concentrated and subtle the perception of the body goes from hard and solid to more subtle and dynamic, and under what we usually feel as hard physical pain are ripples of finer sensation - so the hard pain 'dissolves' into a myriad of tiny movements.

In terms of the process, the mind can't get subtle while it's all in aversion to the discomfort, or when it's craving for some special or remembered experience, so the tricky thing in the meditation is to be at peace with the sensation just as it is, regardless of it being hard physical or it being dynamic and subtle.