View Single Post
Old 30-08-2016, 10:51 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarunP
A better question is - are there any particles at all?

If you study QM (and the history of it), a particle is just a mathematical model.

A particle is a set of equations that describe certain physical phenomena. A model that represents what is actually there and its behaviour.

So there are no "real" particles there. For example a Photon is not a tiny ball that bounces around, it is not even a "wave-packet". A Photon is described by some mathematical equations. A hypothesized entity, a model to describe something. Experiments, like the double slit experiment (100 year old!) demonstrate that there is no matter, its the consciousness that creates the phenomena. (Also know as the "observer", responsible for the "collapse of the wave function" - google for more). Its "mainstream" science, not a fringe.

So can we equate consciousness, which is a direct experience, with some theory? Is this you are asking? I'd surely say no.

There is another assumption there, that the mind must have a location. Mind, a collection of processes, memories, thoughts etc, does not need a location, it creates location. An illusion to place objects in. Mind does not exists in space, space exists in mind. It is very easy to see it directly. Just sit and observe, while keeping all beliefs on the side for a while.

Happy exploring ...

The way I understand wave function does no assume a prior observer, and it could equally be said that a collapse creates the observation as it could be said that the observation causes the collapse. This is the problem where we have a single function which uses three components, as the singularity of the function implies an instant event with no prior component. I think the main assumption is the wave function is continuous, and a collapse of it manifests as the observation, which is then assumed to be both the observer and observed. Yet these occur as a collapse, neither being the prior cause of it.