View Single Post
Old 13-03-2016, 09:34 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormNexus
What are some ways you've helped motivate yourself to START? What are some ways you've motivated yourself to stick with it?

For myself, I started small and focused mainly on getting myself in the mindset of exercising on a mostly daily routine (5-7 days a week). I started exercising for 5 minutes a day...Yep, you got that right...just 5 minutes, because anyone can find 5 minutes in their day to commit to exercise...

After my "workout" became more and more routine, I gradually added more time...I went from 5 minutes, to 8 minutes for a couple weeks, up to 10 minutes for a couple weeks, and now I'm up 12 minutes set at a fairly high resistance...

To keep myself motivated I don't view exercise as "exercise" but rather as meditation...I focus on deep breathing and there is a pattern of breathing I use while I am exercising so it feels more like meditating for me...

So far, I've noticed significant changes in my overall physical health. I've dropped about 25 pounds since last November, I have better stamina, I can walk longer distances, and I don't get out of breath when I'm walking up steep hills. I have also significantly reduced alcohol consumption, I've stopped stress eating, and I eat healthier foods and drink zero calorie beverages, mostly water and unsweetened hot/cold tea...I still drink my morning coffee with minimal sugar and creamer...I can not stand artificial sweetener, and I avoid that stuff like the plague (LOL)...

If you are not a fan of "exercise" in the traditional sense, I really like what Nameless suggests in finding some kind of physical activity that is more "fun" but keeps your body moving...

My favorite exercise machine is the elliptical, mainly because I do the work myself (I am scared of treadmills, LOL) and you can add resistance to your workout which helps burn extra calories and helps build muscle...

I really want to get back into hiking again...when I lived in WA state, Utah, and vacationed in CO I loved hiking in the deep woods and mountain areas...