View Single Post
Old 06-03-2018, 09:20 AM
Master

Do you mean Buddhist monks? Christian monks? Zen monks? Hindu monks? I am sure they do a wide variety of practices.

Perhaps the best known levitater is the Catholic monk Padre Pio (1887-1968). He would go into states of ecstasy and float up in the air.

It is not just monks in deep meditation who levitate. Other examples include:

The book Psychic Discoveries Behind the Iron Curtain (Ostrander and Schroeder, 1970, p. 291) describes a Bulgarian farmer, aged forty-three, named Mikhail Drogzenovich, who rose about 1.2 meters above the ground and remained there for ten minutes while witnesses checked that there was no means of support. He maintained that he did this by will-power.

In the 19th century Daniel Dunglas Home was supposedly able to levitate although witness accounts are a bit vague and contradictory on details.

Theories of how to levitate vary, and are lacking in details. I have heard that the yogi reverses his or her magnetic polarity so that instead of being attracted to the ground they are repelled from the ground. What this actually means I do not know.

In the end, levitation is a siddhi, a power, an interesting example of our human potential but also considered as a distraction from spiritual attainment.

Peace.