View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 03:53 PM
Newbie ;)

Why are the Thai people offended by tattoos of the Buddha?

I'm going to briefly describe myself quickly to you and then explain why I want other people's opinions on this matter!

I am a 22 year old male from the UK and I have tattoos. I don't believe I look intimidating and I'm great with people (old people love me, haha) despite the tattoos I have on show, including a small one on my neck and a Dharma wheel on the back of my left hand.

I have the Dharma wheel on my left hand to remind me of the Buddhist eightfold path, of which I try to follow as best I can. It also openly and quickly lets people understand my intentions and beliefs as long as they understand what it means or take the time to ask.

---

Now... my whole right arm is free from tattoos, but I've been thinking for a long time that I would like to dedicate the whole arm to a Buddhist theme. However, I'm not too sure as I'm uncomfortable knowing that it offends the Thai people and wouldn't be treated the same when I visit Thailand.

Here's my argument... the Buddha said that he didn't want people to worship or idolise him as he is just the same as us. The Thai people have statues and decorations of the buddha everywhere which is the first contradiction. It appears to me that they think they have some sort of authority when it comes to Buddhism, what makes the buddha any more associated with them than he does me?

The only reason I can think of is that they they think we have Buddha tattoos that don't have real meaning or that we don't have a proper understanding just because we're from the west. I know that'd bold but I genuinely can't see another reason. Why shouldn't I get a tattoo of the Buddha on my arm? Especially as I have an understanding of Buddhism.

I'd love to hear your opinions :)

Thanks!