View Single Post
Old 15-09-2018, 04:09 AM
Master
Crystal canuk wrote
"When talking about Bismuth, I would think most people refer to the synthetic kind."

What is synthetic of the Element Bismuth being extracted from a mineral and then heated and slowly cooled down so it ends up as the Element Bismuth in crystal form?

You wrotr "Scientists are great ! I love all the progress humanity has made. Again I thought we were talking about synthetic or treated crystals when we were referring to modern day alchemists. In which case I still denounce them as fraudsters.

Synthetic rubies and emeralds have been around in true form for over a century. I still think it's cheating myself. I don't get excited over synthetics at all. I look at it sort of like a counterfeit bill. The beauty of these specimens is not in question, as you say, they have many if not all of the physical properties of a natural stone. I still don't think your wife will appreciate a fake, er sorry I mean, synthetic stone in her wedding band."

How do you know a diamond is a 'real' diamond - same goes for a ruby, sapphire, etc.?

People buy Tanzanite and rarely if ever find out it was produced in a lab in the Russia Federation. Same goes for diamonds, etc. How does one really know?

How many people have purchased a piece of quartz that was never cleaned up, never touched up? I would say very few people have seen those specimens for sale.

Look at a 6" double terminated quartz specimen that is perfectly clear and is perfect in all respects. The specimen has no growth patterns. How would anyone ever believe the specimen is a result of sand or quartz being melted, the impurities removed and what remains is poured into a mold. Once the mold is removed the piece is shaped and formed.

Who would ever believe the piece was not natural?

But then, the only way I know if a specimen is truly natural, be there and watch it be uncovered.