View Single Post
Old 17-04-2012, 07:01 PM
TeeHee

Quote:
Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except by God’s appointment, and the authorities that exist have been instituted by God. So the person who resists such authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will incur judgment (for rulers cause no fear for good conduct but for bad). Do you desire not to fear authority? Do good and you will receive its commendation, for it is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be in fear, for it does not bear the sword in vain. It is God’s servant to administer retribution on the wrongdoer. Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of the wrath of the authorities but also because of your conscience. For this reason you also pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants devoted to governing. Pay everyone what is owed: taxes to whom taxes are due, revenue to whom revenue is due, respect to whom respect is due, honor to whom honor is due. (Rom 13:1-7, NET)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Keith
Here's another one that I can't help thinking is completely sarcastic:

Here is Paul, who has been beaten, stoned, arrested, imprisoned, run out of town - NUMEROUS times, almost always with the cooperation or even at the instigation of the "governing authorities", saying that if you do good, the authorities will praise you?!? Here's Paul, who knows very well that it was governing authorities who crucified Jesus telling us they are God's servants, worthy of honor because they only punish evil?

This really only makes sense to me as sarcasm - possibly a sarcasm used to protect himself and his writings from those very authorities. Something like me saying "The United States government is perfect in every way. I'm SURE they would never get involved in a war just to protect their oil interests, or support dictatorships. And I'm absolutely positive that they would never tailor legislation for the benefit of special interest groups who contribute lots of money. No, the government always acts impartially for the greatest good of all."

Obviously sarcasm. But if these words were ever printed out, buried in a vault, and one day dug up by someone who decided they were the word of God (hey, you never know) - they might very well miss the sarcasm and assume I really and truly thought that the U.S. Government was indeed perfect and godly in every way.

So taking everything in scripture literally can send you down the wrong track in several different ways...

I've read sarcasm in the Scriptures before, and also noticed the humor side of Scripture, but have always questioned from where the sarcasm and humor is coming from, whether or not it was I who was projecting upon them. When in doubt though I remember, God is not an author of confusion.

Paul's teaching does come as a surprise initially, at least on my part when reading Romans. Given Paul received much persecution and faced many obstacles. Remembering that Paul was juggling between his Roman citizenship and receiving protection at the hands of impartial Roman justice, it really then, comes as no surprise. And neither too does this neglect consistency throughout scripture in way of obedience being given to, and prayers made for civil powers, even when under the hands of someone like Nero.
1 Timothy 2:1-2
I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;

For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

Titus 3:1
Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work,

1 Peter 2:13-17
Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme;

Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well.

For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men:

As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God.

Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.
Overall, my thoughts are that those that lack virtuous lives always feel as if they are being oppressed by governing authorities, at least from my perspective. However, the governing authorities should be transparent in the lives of the virtuous and righteous.

This takes me further into questioning when should we not obey governing authorities, God before men, and when is force considered just means, even if we then will face division, in consideration of the differing views of an activist, pacifist, and selectivist. But perhaps it was Paul's final thought that God would not be helping the Jews if they partake in an action that's bloody and violent, so even in this day and age this may be relevant. Maybe, its just not the correct timing, or maybe he knew that we cannot disassociate ourselves from society.

Just as Paul received benefit from Roman citizenship, we too enjoy much of the same benefits, juggling between our countries citizenship/identity and our Christian identity...

Can't wait to start this Biblical Herm. course, thanks for your wonderful insight thus far Rev. Keith.