View Single Post
Old 24-06-2020, 10:38 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS80
Hey Daz,

Neti Neti is not at all at fault here. Neti neti will not be a false premise/practice, if people practiced neti neti, the way neti neti was meant to be practiced.

Neti neti does not negate the physical universe/ turn the physical universe into an illusion/not real. People's practice of neti neti with their dogma and false beliefs of existence negates and escape the existence of the physical universe. This is why some spiritual teachers (like J. Krishnamurti ) reject old practices, traditions and etc- because a foundation or path that is based on dogma and false beliefs, even while using a good practice (this includes all the paths of yoga) will obviously, lead one away from truth.

Neti neti is a practice of moving past man made objects (but people take the word objects and the context a little too far to mean all objects in the physical universe, including the objects/matter of the physical universe itself) and that man made objects are not the truth to base your foundation on.

Neti neti is also used to go deeper into the ego/I/thinker thinking “I am just my name,” “I am just my body,” or “I am just my personality,” and etc and realize internally that my ego/I/thinker that thinks "I am this" and "I am that" is the one and the same as my true inner self, which is the the deep heart felt feeling of I AM/atman. The point is to unite the separate ego/I/thinker with the true inner self/atman. The point is not to create more separation and division.

Not quite...

https://www.yogapedia.com/definition/5325/neti-neti

Neti-neti meditation helps to identify all things of the world which are not the atman (the real), thus negating the anatman (the unreal).

https://advaitamandscience.org/2013/...anatma-viveka/

Anatman is an-atman that is ‘all that is not the Self’. Anatman is inert. It becomes active and knowledgeable by its close proximity with the Atman, which is of the nature of pure infinite consciousness. The three bodies or the five kosas constitute the anatman. The three bodies in an individual are the gross body (sthula sarira), the subtle body (suksma sarira), and the causal body (karana sarira).

All the above described bodies and kosas are inert and they together constitute the anatman. Anatman is inert because it is formed from the subtle concepts (tanmatras) of the inert panca–bhutas (the basic five elements). However, from our experience we infer that anatman is active and knowledgeable. It is very hard to believe that the mind, intellect, prana, and body are inert. Vedanta gives explanation for this as, the anatman is inert, but due to the proximity of the Atman with the anatman, the anatman appears as active and knowledgeable. Atman is of the nature of pure consciousness.

Body and mind are Anatman, and that includes ego/I/thinker. It's all inert matter illumined by One Consciousness, giving the appearance of individual consciousness and individual self. That is the illusion and Neti-Neti is but one practice of many to assist in overcoming that illusion.