View Single Post
Old 24-10-2023, 01:40 AM
Pathfinder
Since this is such an old post, I don't expect this comment to be of much use to the author, but figured I'd respond for future readers.

First, to get on the same page, here's what I mean by spontaneous movement qigong:
  • Spontaneous movement happens when your body is relaxed and qi is flowing strongly - you can allow the stronger flow of qi to move your body without your conscious control.
  • I do not mean just moving your body spontaneously, like in an improvised dance, doing tai-chi-like moves.

The style of qigong I practice involves phases of spontaneous movement - deliberately stimulating a stronger flow of qi with dynamic qigong exercises, then relaxing and allowing that energy to flow freely and move my body.

Obviously, this doesn't last forever - at some point the spontaneous movements stop. Assuming you don't wait for the movements to stop by themselves (which they could), here's how you'd stop them deliberately.

Since the movements are caused by stronger energy flow, in order to stop the movements you want to slow the energy flow.

You can do this in different ways.
  • You can use your intention - just telling yourself to slow down a few times and then stop when your movements are calm and gentle.
  • You can gently focus on your dantian (energy field a bit below the navel) - doing this causes the qi that was previously circulating strongly through your body (causing it to move) to gather there instead, slowing and then stopping the movements.

While doing the above, you can tame the movements by allowing them to continue, but physically shifting so that you become more rooted and upright.

If you do the above the spontaneous movements will stop and you will no longer be doing spontaneous qigong. After that, it's up to you how to end your session.

It's important not to force an abrupt stop to your movements, but let the movements end gracefully. Doing so would stress your energy system and possibly cause an internal (energetic) injury. By "abrupt" I mean physically stopping in an instant. This doesn't mean you can't stop quite quickly - by using your intention, you can slow and then stop your movements in a few seconds.

As a side note, why do this in the first place?

Blockages in the meridians create areas of stagnant energy and low qi. This, in turn, can eventually lead to physical illness.

In the same way that a stronger flow of water can clear debris from a stream, a stronger flow of qi will eventually clear blockages in the meridians.

Normal dynamic/moving qigong exercises consist of movement patterns that stimulate greater qi flow in specific meridians. So in order to clear a blockage with normal dynamic qigong exercises, you'd need to know which meridian is blocked (an acupuncturist could tell you) and practice one or more dynamic exercises that target that meridian.

Qi, like water, naturally flows from high to low places. Places in the body with low qi is where there are blockages. By allowing your qi to flow and your body to move freely, qi will flow more strongly to those spots.

So spontaneous movement qigong is a way of clearing blockages without having to know where blockages are and doing a specific exercise that targets the blocked meridian.

It clears blockages that you might not know exists, so can prevent illnesses before they become physically symptomatic. Since qi naturally flows to the lowest point it clears blockages starting with most severe and ends with the least severe.