View Single Post
Old 02-09-2019, 02:25 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Humans Are Driving One Million Species to Extinction
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...to-extinction/

What we do with this information, how we act, etc gives us a clue about our own spirituality. Do we care only about our own self-discovery or do we extent our self beyond that and care about the living space of our own kind and of so many others..? Do we appreciate the world and it's diversity or do we turn our backs to it and only care about the self?

Choices, choices...

It's all true, people are essentially destroying the world. But now what?

I am one person in an urban setting. We have mostly perpetual drought here so trying to grow anything is really a struggle. I've tried. If I could stay at home and tend to the needs of plants, I could do it. But reality says I need to pay my bills or I'll be out on the street. Nothing huge mind you, just mortgage, utilities, cable, but those bills are quite limiting.

Do I talk about the environment and species extinctions? No. Why not? Because that causes massive anxiety for me. It's one thing to recognize the problem, but to then realize there is nothing you can do to fix it? It's agonizing.

I watch politicians and wealthy people struggle to gain more more more. Always more. Will they ever be satisfied and recognize that they, too, could face extinction some day? Not very likely.

Yet those same politicians and wealth people are the very ones who set policy and actually have power to institute change.

And yes, I'm a spiritualist. That's not just to do with believing in spirits, heavens no. The overarching belief is in God and the perpetuation of life energy. About the ultimate reunion with Source.

But that in no way implies spiritualists don't care what's happening in nature. They tend to take in strays, plant butterfly gardens, help the down-and-out. They also don't ballyhoo and shout their efforts from rooftops. They tend to be quiet and not interested in being in the limelight.

The recycling thing really upset me too. I've recycled for decades now, and then to learn that it all ends up in landfills ANYWAY???? Because there isn't a market for it anymore and no one wants our used aluminum cans...